I was not sure how well this was going to go. Seemed like no one else has upgraded their View desktop from Win7 to Win 10. But I thought it was time for me to to it. In the past, I did it like I had done at customers – a new pool, and everyone gets a new desktop. Don’t lose settings or data of course but it gives a way back. In this case I had a backup so I thought it wothwhile to try. I did two things to increase my odds of success – I made sure my Win7 desktop was fully updated, and I made sure that View was fully updated – so 7.0.2.
And it worked, but it did take a while. Here are some comments.
- You need 10 GB free. I had 6 but it was quick and easy to expand the disk in Settings, and extend the disk.
- I was using Win7 Pro, and as I said I did all outstanding patches.
- I had, from MSDN, Win 10 Enterprise.
- I uploaded the ISO to my ISO datastore, and connected it to the VM.
- Several hours were involved – although time on my side was maybe 20 minutes.
- Multiple restarts
- I used the VMRC
- There was a lot of updates which also took time – included in the several hours above
- Near the end there was a lot of questions – all of which seemed to be about sharing info with MS. Said no to all except one about sharing usage with MS. I left that one working as they can learn important stuff from phone home.
- I also customized the desktop Apps for only Edge, and not Photos, Music, etc.
- I had activation issues. First it used existing PID and tried to talk to a local activation server. I tried a new PID – again from MSDN – and it didn’t work – again due to looking for a local activation server. I tried a different PID and now it used the Internet and activated fine.
- I now had a working View desktop that mostly still looked like my old Win7 desktop. I had to fix the desktop image so it was one color with my BGInfo info, remove the store icon in the task bar and I was almost ready to go.
- I had to turn off a bunch of Cortana stuff in the Start menu, but once done things worked good.
- I did a restart and waited to see if I could use my View client to connect to this desktop.
- After I thought the restart was done I connected via my Mac View client and it worked fine. The auto login took a few movements longer than normal – due I think to the logon screen graphics, but it worked fine.
- I did not log out, but disconnected, and connected again, and it too worked fine.
So all good.
I should mention, I did have one issue during this process that I did not share. It was very lab specific. When I connected to my ISO datastore, which is iSCSI hosted, it was blank. I did the typical thing for this and did a Rescan Storage and nothing changed. I accessed the management UI for my iSCSI storage, and an update was outstanding, so I did the update, and the included restart, and then did a Rescan Storage after that and now everything was seen. So I could in fact hook the Win10 ISO to the VM.
You should attempt to always have the most current View Client. In particular, I upgrade that before I upgrade the View server, and in this case, with a very new OS I was going to be with, I again made sure to be using the latest View Client.
Any questions or comments, let me know,
=== END ===