This is a small update in some ways, but for those of you with AirPlay 2 enabled TV’s you will enjoy it. I am still a little unhappy with the TV app, as it still shows me shows I am watching, but it shows them in other services that I don’t have access too!
I have done one over the air (OTA) upgrade of the couch iPad, but an iTunes upgrade of a iPad Pro and an iPhone 8. All good but for the comments below.
Update – 12.3.1 does not fix the issues.
For my personal Phone and iPad I will always do an iTunes upgrade since it does first an encrypted backup. That means all of my data is backed up. So I can easily recover in a crisis. If you do not do an encrypted backup, a lot of your passwords, health data, and more is not backed up. I suggest to everyone that considers their phone or iPad important to to iTunes upgrade with encrypted backup.
- Learn more about the Apple TV app in this article.
- Learn more about the iOS, tvOS, and macOS updates in this article.
- Security Info on this update.
- It turns out that PowerPoint will not load in 12.3. I am not the only one experiencing that. Others say more MS apps are not usable (PowerPoint and ONEnote). I have tried all my other apps with no issues.
- I am not sure if I like the new re-org that Apple did to the TV app. Lets see if I can get used to it. Long airplane ride tomorrow so that will help. (Update – 5/17/19 – Apple confirmed this is an issue, and they are working on a fix.)
- The TV app no longer has the ability to show you what has been watched or not. In addition, you cannot see the description of the movie or tv any longer. (Update – 5/17/19 – Apple confirmed this is an issue, and they are working on a fix.)
iOS 12.3 includes support for AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and features a redesigned Apple TV app. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
• AirPlay 2 now supports sharing videos, photos, music and more from your iPhone and iPad directly to your AirPlay 2-enabled smart TV
• One-tap playback automatically plays your chosen TV show or movie on the last screen you used based on time and location
• Siri Suggestions to watch movies and TV shows now include an option to AirPlay
• Intelligent suggestions are all done on-device so your personal information stays private
Apple TV app
• The Apple TV app features an all-new design that highlights expertly curated collections and personalized recommendations
• Apple TV channels offer subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more, available to watch directly in the Apple TV app, online or off
• Subscriptions to Apple TV channels can be shared with up to six family members, with no new apps, accounts, or passwords needed
• New release movies are available to buy or rent in the Apple TV app, including the full catalog of over 100,000 movies and the largest selection of 4K HDR titles
• A new dedicated kids section helps you discover editorially-handpicked shows and movies safe for kids of all ages
• The Apple TV app can now intelligently suggest playing to the most likely Apple TVs or AirPlay 2-enabled TVs nearby
This update also includes bug fixes and improvements. This update:
• Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view
• Apple Music’s For You tab now updates multiple times a day suggesting music based on themes like genres, artists, and moods you love
• Fixes an issue that could prevent Apple TV Remote from pausing video, controlling video, or changing volume on supported receivers
• Addresses an issue that could cause calls made using Wi-Fi calling to drop
• Fixes an issue where song information from a connected iPhone may not appear in a car’s display
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
=== END ===