I did get the Series 2 watch – wanted the water resistant capability and GPS, and now I need to make it work.
- So you need to unpair your old watch first – which makes a backup. Access the Watch app, select your watch, select the I.
- Then select the Red Unpair Apple Watch option.
- This will produce the backup we will use when we pair with the new Apple Watch.
- To successfully unpair you will need your Apple id pw. if you use a complex one like I do be happy you can copy from 1Password and paste where necessary.
- After you unpair you can in fact pair.
- Be aware that the Series 2 watch will not charge from the Series 1 cable when plugged in the USB port of your MBA – but it does when plugged into the wall. Odd.
- When I paired, I had three backups to choose from and none from today. A little confusing. I wonder if it can only manage three so mine was lost instead of the oldest one?
- Since I did not see my most recent backup I tried a few things and the watch got confused. So I held down push button on it – not the dial – until it powered down. Then I powered it up and we could continue.
- So I used my most recent backup which was 9/29/16 where today date is 11/1/16. And went through the process.
- And, for whatever reason, my run info from yesterday is there. So all good.
- I did have to upgrade to 3.1. Took a bit.
- Don’t forget to turn back on Auto Unlock – love that feature.
Also, something odd. Likely will not impact any of you. But, just in case here it is. This morning when my fitbit alarm went off – yes I use a fitbit for a silent alarm and nothing else – my watch also went off. So not sure why – my watch did have an alarm set – not anymore mind you – but not sure where it came from? This may be connected to the old backup I used – which as I mentioned also had very recent data in it.
But the new watch has all the old data and is working fine.
- 11/12/16 – I have noticed after using the new watch for a while, and watchOS 3.1 that I am getting a lot more battery life – about 50%. Nice thing to discover!
=== END ===