I was deploying a Win2K12 VM from my template and it did not work. I got the error seen in the screenshot below.
And of course I was in a loop. So had to power off, and delete the VM. The problem was in the custom specification I was using. I did several things and tried again – yes I know, bad form, should have only changed one but was in a hurry. Here is what I did to have the custom specification work properly.
- I re – entered the passwords – for the administrator account, and to join the domain, using the C# client this time. There was once a bug where passwords entered via the vSphere Web Client were not saved properly. Fixed in theory long ago, I am still a little suspicious.
- I had an old PID that I believe was good, but belonged to someone else and so I deleted it and entered a new PID.
- I believe that by entering data – in my case PID and passwords, was significant in solving this issue.
- I retired and it worked.
Not sure if the password change, or the PID change made a difference, or maybe it was the fact I re-saved the custom spec but it was working again.
After I made the changes above, and waited for the VM to deploy I found this article that sounds interesting and it seems to suggest the PID. But it has additional troubleshooting info so that is good – for next time.
=== END ===