I had to write this test recently, and it was a little different then I was used too. When I think back, the two SANs Certifications I had to maintain were the hardest, as there was research papers, published papers and tests to deal with. But with the Lotus, Novell, Compaq, HP, IBM, Microsoft, and VMware tests I sort of got used to something else. I would read the course-ware a couple of times, the last time slow and careful. I would redo all the lab exercises in my lab, and go write the test. And pass.
But doing the VCP6-DCV test – either the delta or the actual, is a little different. It is composed of two courses and a little extra. Actually I think a lot extra. So here is some info that should help you out.
- Use The Unofficial Official VCP6-DCV Study Guide. I have asked the guys to fix the links in the guide as they don’t work. The painful thing here is they have a lot of links, and you really need to read each one. You can find the guide here, plus the ePub and Mobi versions.
- For me I was lucky enough to attend one of the two courses this is based on – Install / Configure / Manage vSphere 6 so I went through the course-ware and lab guide carefully.
- As I had heard, and believe, that some of the test comes from Optimize / Scale and I had not taken that course for a while, I thought I needed something more. I purchased the VMware Certification Exam Prep: VCP6 – Data Center Virtualization Delta Exam (Number:2V0-621D). It cost me 300 dollars, which is expensive, but certainly cheaper then the course! It is not super well done. It makes a number of assumptions but it does help. And all of the links it suggests you check out you really should – there is significant reading. I cannot seem to find the link for this to purchase at this time. I think you can find it when you register to get the notice to book your test.
- I also really like the VCP6-DCV Learning Path from Pluralsight. I started using it but thought I was going to lose it due to things expiring before the new vExpert announcement so I stopped using it. But I saw enough to know it would help.
- You can find the official VCP6-DCV page here.
- Good to know that the Delta exam is the same as the full exam but a different (smaller) number of questions. So the info I have here will help those that prepare for the Delta and the full on test.
- Make sure to read every question, and every answer very carefully.
- As you read and think things through, make sure you understand how it works in the lab. Anything confusing then work it through in the lab.
Here are some things that look good, in fact some very good, that I did not know about (or forgot about) but should be able to help.
But I hope that this works – but let me know if you have questions or comments. And yes, I did pass.
=== END ===