Today 13.5 dropped for iOS and it seems like it is not a big update but it has a few interesting things. It will unlock easier when wearing a face mask – which is good. It has some bug fixes and other improvements that are not listed so they may fix something that bothers you! I also like how your medical info will be share when your phone calls for help. That is quite useful for the medical professionals.
I updated an iPhone 11 with no issues.
As always, I updated using the Finder method on my Mac so I got an encrypted backup just in case.
iOS 13.5 speeds up access to the passcode field on devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask and introduces the Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities. This update also introduces an option to control automatic prominence of video tiles on Group FaceTime calls and includes bug fixes and other improvements.
Face ID and Passcode
• Simplified unlock process for devices with Face ID when you are wearing a face mask
• Passcode field automatically presented after swiping up from the bottom of the Lock screen when you are wearing a face mask
• Also works when authenticating with the App Store, Apple Books, Apple Pay, iTunes, and other apps that support signing in with Face ID
• Exposure Notification API to support COVID-19 contact tracing apps from public health authorities
• Option to control automatic prominence on Group FaceTime calls so video tiles do not change size when a participant speaks
• Option to automatically share health and other essential information from your Medical ID with emergency services when you place an emergency call (US only)
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
• Fixes an issue where users may see a black screen when trying to play streaming video from some websites
• Addresses an issue in the share sheet where suggestions and actions may not load
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222