Here is a collection of info on using your HomePod. I will update it as I learn more. I am very fond of it. It has great music, but I also like the Siri interface. It is so easy to say what I like and each time that adds up to better stuff when I say “Hey Siri, play something I like”.
I thought I would share some resources and commands I like and use. And yes, some of you that know me might wonder what a Canadian is doing talking about HomePod before it is in Canada. I can say it works great in Canada save for no news.
BTW, the setup is most impressive. So quick and easy. Plug it in, and hold your iPhone up to it. If you have Bluetooth on it will start up a very nice and quick, and easy, setup.
- User Guide – http://help.apple.com/homepod/
- Review – Tidbits – http://tidbits.com/article/17849
- Review – iMore – https://www.imore.com/homepod
- Cool advertising marketing type video – http://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/spike-jonze-and-fka-twigs-made-a-jaw-dropping-short-film-for-apples-homepod/
- How to repair or replace your HomePod – https://www.imore.com/how-repair-or-replace-your-homepod
- US Apple Site for the HomePod – https://www.apple.com/homepod/
- HomePod: Everything you need to know (not quite true) – https://www.imore.com/homepod-faq
- How to reset your HomePod – in case you want to give it away – https://www.imore.com/how-reset-your-homepod
- iMore – HomePoad: the ultimate guide – https://www.imore.com/homepod-ultimate-guide
Here are some commands I use and find handy.
- Hey Siri, play my playlist Scissor Sisters (the playlist is in iTunes on my Mac)
- Hey Siri, what song is this?
- Hey Siri, add this to my library, or, Hey Siri, add this album to my library – useful when you travel and have no access to the internet.
- Hey Siri, tell me about this artist, or Hey Siri, what album is this?
- Hey Siri, play Beats 1 radio
- Hey Siri, play the podcast MacBreak Weekly
- Hey Siri, what is the weather today? It works, and does use Celsius too. So it does sort of know what country it is in.
- Hey Siri, what is the weather in Denver today?
- Hey Siri, what can you do?
- Hey Siri, I like this – good one so it gets better at knowing what you like and you will like what she plays when you say Hey Siri, play some music.
- Hey Siri, play some music from the 80’s.
- Hey Siri, play the top songs from 1992.
- Hey Siri, stop
- Hey Siri, play
- Hey Siri, make it louder
- Hey Siri, set a 5 minute timer
On the top of the HomePod.
- Tap does the play / pause thing.
- Double-tap goes to next track
- Triple-tap goes to previous track
- tap or hold on the + or – will change the volume.
- Don’t use your own playlist if it has one artist in it. Tell Siri to play that artist. Like Hey Siri, play Norah Jones
- For your playlists that have multiple artists in it, use some sort of a code name that is easy for you to remember and tell Siri. For example I have one called James Bond that has the soundtrack of the James Bond movies I like.
- Literally the next day after I publish this I notice that something has changed behavior. If I say, Hey Siri, play Diana Krall she plays the playlist I have called Diana Krall. Not, what she did the day before which was play Diana Krall out of the Apple Music world. So I renamed my Diana Krall playlist to DK and tried again. Now it works as expected – Hey Siri, play Diana Krall does that, but Hey Siri, play my playlist DK works too!
- 4/8/18 – I added the link to the article that will help you reset your HomePod. Also added the link for the ultimate guide.
- 4/2/18 – I just learned of something that impacts us Canadians using the US HomePod. You cannot send text messages with it as you have your iPhone Siri language set to Canadian. But Siri / HomePod is US. So it won’t work. I can survive this until Apple has a Canadian HomePod.
- 3/29/18 – Today there is an update for the HomePod. Not new features, but fixes and that sort of stuff. So good. I had to try and update 2 times before it found the updated and allowed me to do it. You can learn how in this article. No idea about release notes, but this is the first update since I got my HomePod and I think the first one since they GA’ed.
- 3/26/18 – added the Oddness section, and the first point.
- 3/25/18 – released.
I hope that this helps, and I will update it as I learn more.
=== END ===