This update caught me by surprise. But it is important as I hear it will improve battery life on iPhones to a noticeable degree. I am happy with my battery life but more would always be nice. I see also via the link to security info below there are a few security fixes as well in this release.
I strongly suggest – as always – to do an encrypted backup first, as it protects more than a iCloud backup – like passwords and Health info. I have updated an iPhone 8, and an iPad Pro 10.5 with no issues.
iOS 11.1 introduces over 70 new emoji and includes bug fixes and improvements. BTW, here is some additional info. It reminded me that the security fixes include one for KRACK.
• Over 70 new emoji characters including new food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more
• Resolves an issue that could cause some photos to appear blurry
• Addresses an issue that could cause Live Photo effects to playback slowly
• Fixes an issue that could cause some photos to not display in the People album when restoring from an iCloud Backup
• Fixes an issue that could impact performance when swiping between screenshots
• Improves braille support for Grade 2 input
• Improves VoiceOver access to multi-page PDFs
• Improves VoiceOver rotor actions for announcing incoming notifications
• Improves VoiceOver rotor actions menu when removing an app from the App Switcher
• Fixes an issue for some users where alternative keys would not display when using VoiceOver with Touch Typing
• Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would always return to default action in Mail
• Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would not delete messages
Other improvements and fixes
• Adds back support for accessing the app switcher by pressing on edge of display with 3D Touch
• Fixes an issue that caused cleared Mail notifications to reappear on Lock screen
• Fixes an issue in enterprise environments that prevented data from being moved between managed apps
• Fixes an issue with some 3rd-party GPS accessories that caused inaccuracies in location data
• Resolves an issue where settings for Heart Rate notifications were appearing in Apple Watch app (1st generation)
• Fixes an issue where app icons were not appearing in notifications on Apple Watch
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
- 11/5/17 – I forgot to mention that on an iPhone 8, and an iPad Pro 10.5 that Evernote did not lose it’s authentication after the upgrade. Very nice. Piper still did.
- 11/1/17 – Added the link about more info above.
=== END ===