I did the first version of this a while back. But I had a small change – new computer – that has a slightly different footprint so enough changed and so I am going to do this again. Plus, my new laptop uses USB Type – C so that means a bit of difference too!
I use a TUMI laptop bag.
Why do I use it? First my wife suggested that as I wear suits sometimes (not much anymore but for Asia) that I needed a laptop bag that would at least sort of go with the suit. This one – she mentioned, does. It was expensive (350 US$) but it has lasted a long time – 7 or 8 years – and still looks good. Not for sale any longer unfortunately. I also like how it doesn’t expand so there is a finite amount I can carry with it!
If we look at the outside top compartment and inside of it, we see the following.
We can see a pen, and an Apple Pencil, and my cable management kit. There is also a USB stick, and a very nice hook to hook my house-keys too.
The single USB stick has been replaced, or rather added to now due to the different ports in use.
The small thing is a USB to USB-C. I found it at Amazon.ca and it works well – for example with the laser pointer below.
Guess what the cable management kit contains!
I like that little pouch to carry and organize – somewhat – stuff. What do you see?
- USB-C HDMI dongle,
- USB to USB-C dongle
- USB-C VGA dongle, most often used for presentations
- Extra Apple Pencil point, and Apple Pencil charging thing
- USB-C 1 GB network dongle
- Apple Watch charging cable and plug
- Two USB Lightning charge cables and one plug
- USB-C Lighting charge cable
- SD to USB-C – found it at Apple.ca
All of these dongles are from Apple.
If we look at the outside bottom pocket we see different hings.
So what is there?
We see here a variety of things!
- There is the Lacie rugged external disk with USB Type – C connection. And yes, water resistant and shock resistant too. It is 2 TB and carries a lot of different things – ISO’s, videos, images and more. I have another one of these in my suitcase I do backups to while on the road. BTW, they are on sale right now – 2 TB for 189 CAD.
- GoalZero battery pack. One of the best I have used. It doesn’t drain over time since it is ‘smart’ and actually shuts off when not in use. Plus, if it recognizes what it is charging it can change how it charges to get it done faster. Plus, it can be charged with a GoalZero solar panel I have. Which is never in my laptop bag.
- There is a nice snug pouch in this pocket that I keep all my frequent flyer / stay / renter cards.
- The leather item is an old Compaq business card holder which holds my business cards.
- The long and narrow black thing is a laser pointer / clicker for presentations. Works very well with Mac and PC – and is a green laser.
- The white thing is my AirPods and I really like them. The battery life is excellent and sound is very good. I love how you can pull one out and it pauses things, or you can talk with Sira with them.
Now we look inside the laptop bag.
Really not much here.
- We see my MacBook Pro, and power adapter.
- My iPad Pro with the Apple Smart Keyboard
- And yes, I still use a Moleskin notepad.
So for trips around town this is it. But when I travel I have one other thing in the main compartment.
I could not travel without my Bose Headphones as they are so comfortable and last so long.
So, you know what is in my updated laptop bag now.
What is in your laptop bag?
=== END ===